Total Pageviews

Friday, September 16, 2011

Entry 4:Bird by Bird

Reading Bird by Bird was a good experience for me because it was different than anything else I had tried before. People always give you advice on how to be a better writer, but its always boring and hard to put into action. Lamont uses stories and actual life experiences to get her points across. That helped me connect a lot more and I found it easier to use some of her techniques because of the way she presented them. The main one is her advice on the writers block. I have always struggled with getting started and I was excited when I saw she dedicated a whole entire chapter to this very problem. I read her advice on starting from the beginning and I didn't think that writing about something off topic would help me that much. The piece of advice that got me thinking was her letter idea. To write a "letter" to someone describing what you want to write about and how. I like this because if I can get all my ideas on paper and see everything I want to write, it will make a much clearer picture. Seeing everything in front of me will help me piece everything together. Instead of being a jumbled mess in my head. I can see all my ideas together and just start writing about them. When I see all my ideas together, it will be easier to decide their order and meaningfulness. I realized that not knowing how to begin was never my problem, it was not knowing what to begin with.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that Anne Lamott's piece inspired the form of your memoir assignment!

    ReplyDelete